Good morning

  • Carers May Be Missing Out on Discounts

    21st September 2016

    According to the Low Incomes Tax Reform Group, lone parents who care for their adult disabled children and people who provide live-in care for a relative may well be missing out on Council Tax savings because the Government's own website contains misleading information.

    Council Tax bills are normally based on the assumption that there are two or more adults living in a property. Where a property is occupied by only one person, a discount can apply. However, some categories of people are 'disregarded' for Council Tax purposes and, in appropriate circumstances, this can include carers.

    The GOV.UK website says that 'People who are severely mentally impaired, and live-in carers who aren't family members, aren't included when working out Council Tax'. However, this definition does not accord with the law, which expands the definition to include 'live-in carers who are not the spouse or partner of the person they care for, or a parent caring for a child under 18'. So, for example, a brother or sister acting as a live-in carer may not realise that they come under the legal definition of those eligible to be disregarded.

    If you are concerned that you are paying more Council Tax than you should given your care arrangements, we can advise you. You may be due a discount, which should be able to be backdated. If the council proves intransigent, we can help you persuade them to comply with the legislation.

    For more information contact Awdry Bailey & Douglas in Devizes 01380 722311, in Chippenham 01249 478333, in Marlborough 01672 518620 or in Royal Wootton Bassett 01793 853200 for all your legal needs. 

    Back to articles